Wednesday, March 10, 2010

I didn't do much today. I slept in and went for a run this morning. Not exactly a good idea because it had to have been below freezing and I don't have much to wear in the way of cold weather gear. Although I wasn't alone, there are still many Frenchmen who brave the cold weather also to go for a run. When I returned my host mother and I spent about 45 minutes speaking with SFR ( the main communications provider here in France) as to why the Internet wouldn't work on my computer. We got nowhere. I called the IT department back at my school for some help and we had it fixed within five minutes. So everything's back to normal for now. Then I spent the afternoon with some friends. We had lunch and then went into the school cafeteria to get out of the cold and chatted for a couple of hours. Today was pretty laid back, which is fine for me.


As far as food goes...the food here is just better overall. It's healthier and tastes better. The French are just really good at cooking I guess. On a daily basis I eat pretty light (I think that most Frenchmen eat rather light) compared to back home. Breakfast consists of a baguette with strawberry and apricot jam, butter, milk, and coffee. Lunch is usually a sandwich of some kind, whether its a wrap or in a baguette. Dinner is the big meal of the day complete with courses. There is always salad and a baguette. The main course is usually meat of some kind but little beef. There are two sides also. Dessert is simple but good. The French have created something called Fromage Blanche; a very popular food here. I am not exactly sure what it is but it has the same consistency of yogurt and tastes a bit like sour creme. It is very versatile. Mostly it is eaten with fruit of some kind and sugar making a very good and healthy dessert. Chocolate pudding and just regular yogurt are very popular also. Nutella is also very big here and I can understand why because you can put it on everything. It is so good and I don't know why it isn't as popular in the US. The French are also into pastries but perhaps not as much as the tourists and students. They like coffee also but I don't think they're as addicted as Americans. They seem to take it in much smaller amounts. Coffee though is definitely more of an American drink. However there are Starbucks everywhere. I think there are at least 30-40 in Paris alone and every single one of them is packed all the time with Parisians. But I don't see them walking around with their coffee like Americans do. I can't complain though...I eat very well here.

The picture pages are in progress. It takes a while to make a page because I have to convert the photos, save the new file somewhere, upload the file, and then arrange it. A page takes about an hour to an hour and a half so please bear with me.

Sorry I don't have pictures of food. The pictures for this post are from my trip to Le Sacre Coeur last week and the cemetery pictures are from Pere Lachaise Cemetery in the northeastern part of Paris taken in February.

Tomorrow I have my history class which is my favorite class because it's really interesting. All for now. Hope everyone is having a good day.

1 comment:

  1. Chris: Great photos, as always! Thanks for describing what you eat. The fromage blanche sounds good. A lot of people eat plain yogurt with fruit and sweetened as you describe the way the fromage blanche is eaten. i've had Nutella--doesn't do all that much for me.

    Here, the weather is warmer (50's) but starting tomorrow we will see 4 days of rain.

    i saw 2 bald eagles at Pinchot on Saturday and went to Middle Creek to see 90,000 snow geese on Sunday.

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete