Monday, April 19, 2010

Crazy Days

I hope you haven't begun to think that I have forgotten you; because I haven't. The truth is that the last couple days have been absolutely crazy! Especially this weekend. The weather has been fantastic; sunny days, warm temperatures, and it hasn't rained in days. However, there's one little thing. VOLCANIC ASH!


I'm sure you all know of this thing called a volcano. It's a big, rocky, mountain type thing and every couple hundred years throws a temper tantrum better and more successfully than any toddler on the planet because no one can do anything about it.

Well several days ago one of said beast decided to do what I just described spewing all kinds of ash into the atmosphere. Of course the wind took it and gave it to northern Europe. What does this mean? What it means is that this past weekend, last Thursday and Friday, and today all the airports of Europe have been shut down. No flights in or out leaving thousands of people stranded across Europe. To top things off every major college in France went on spring vacation on Friday. Some people can leave because their flight goes to North America. I have friends in Italy who are stranded there until at least Wednesday. My friend's flight to the UK is canceled and my flight to Ireland is canceled. Well why not take a train? Because there have been strikes on all the trains in France. The train stations have been almost as bad as the airports with hundreds of thousands of passengers waiting for their train that is late because of the protesters spread out randomly on the tracks....


It's been a very interesting several days. The funny part is that since these two major transportation systems are tied down everyone has taken to the streets in cars, bikes, metro, and trams. The metro lines have been absolutely crazy! Now that the trains have begun running some trains the last several days (not many) there have been less people on the metro. If you own a car and want to drive in Paris you might want to reconsider because everyone else has the same idea. Friday between the train strikes and volcanic ash raining havoc, the increase of vehicular commuters brought more accidents and adult temper tantrums on the roads and streets. Although I have to admit the temper tantrums are rather entertaining to watch.


On the up side one my friends who has been studying abroad at St. Cyr in France came to hang out for the weekend and we had a good time walking around and seeing stuff. Although it's been exhausting walking all over the place, more so than usual. Last night he and I and some of my friends here in France went out last just to get out and relax and ease our frustrations on the transportation situation.




Well that's about all that's happened the last couple of days. Sorry I don't have any pictures of said grievances but if I did it wouldn't be pretty so I'm throwing some pictures of sunsets and flowers on here for you. Take care all and enjoy spring!

















5 comments:

  1. beautiful blog-i don't even know you but i enjoyed the pictures and little stories.

    it's very quaint and delicate
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well thank you very much! It's always good to hear that one's work is appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris, I'm so sorry your flight to Ireland was cancelled. I hear that flights are starting to pick up again, and I was wondering if you will be able to reschedule? I hope you find some fun things to do whatever happens. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in Ireland now actually. Thank goodness! I spent the entire day at the airport (Charles de Gauelle). I got wait listed three times and didn't get into Dubling until 8:00pm local time. I like Ireland a lot already. When I got off the plane I saw mountains just like back home. It reminds a lot of home actually in many ways. Well my vacation has been shortened but it'll be fun. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chris: I'll be anxious to hear about your Ireland trip. You are not the first person to think that Ireland is similar to here. Years ago when I was on Hawk Mountain, an Austrailian couple i was chatting with commented about how much the area reminded them of Ireland!

    ReplyDelete