Friday, February 26, 2010




I had class again today. It was a little exhausting. After class some friends from my ISA group and I had lunch at a cafe just down the street from where the school is. The owner is rather interesting. He speaks near perfect English so I'm not sure if he was originally American and has just spent a lot of time in France or if he is French and has just spent a lot of time in America. Anyway he has a really high admiration for military personnel, therefore he rates pretty well with me.

After lunch I headed out to explore Ile St. Louis which is the sister island to Ile De La Cite. It is a very quaint little Island. There are hardly any tourist there, which is surprising because there a lot of little cafes, restaurants, and many nice shops along the main street of Rue St. Louis en l'Isle. It is basically residential so that's why there are so few visitors. There is a church in the middle of the Island and a School of some kind right beside it.  Also there are some indoor markets and a cheese shop along the main street giving it an small town feel. It was a beautiful day for picture taking. It had just rained around lunch time so the streets were really wet. Of course after the rain storm passed the sun came out lighting up the streets and buildings. This is turning out to be the typical kind of weather here in Paris but I don't mind that too much. I definitely plan to return to Ile St. Louis because there are pretty good little bakeries there and it is removed from the rest of the hustle and bustle of people trying to get somewhere in record time.

I left Ile St. Louis went on a scavenger hunt for material related to Normandy and D-Day because the ISA group is taking an excursion to Normandy tomorrow and Sunday. I went to FNAC and Gibert Jeune but found nothing helpful at all, which was rather disappointing. I would have thought that the French would have been all over that subject, but I guess I thought wrong. In fact neither one of the books carried much in the way of any books about WWII. It such an important and relatively recent event in history that it seems rather silly and a little disrespectful to completely forget about what happened. Perhaps I was just looking at the wrong stores, but those are the two biggest bookstores around that I know of.

I posted another page of pictures, this one is about the Eiffel Tower. I plan to add more in the spring when the trees are green and there are people on the mall. There probably won't be another post until Sunday night or Monday because of the trip this weekend. I've almost been here two weeks but it seems like a life time.





No comments:

Post a Comment