Thursday, February 25, 2010


I had my third class today. It's Histoire de France/ De Vercingetorix a Napoleon. Though it is three hours I really enjoyed it. The time really flew by rather quickly. It appears to set up like a survey class would be in the U.S. because we are going to cover quite a large span of time. The professor seems to be focusing more on the military aspect or the time period, but that's fine with me. Military History is more my forte. The difference though is that it is all taught in French so I have to relearn all the vocab and learn how to pronounce the names of people and places "en francais".


There are more Americans and other Europeans in this class. We actually out number all of the Asians for once. Which is interesting in itself that so many students from Japan, China, Vietnam, Taiwan, and Korea are studying at l'Institut Catholique. In my other two classes I am outnumbered by Asians and South Americans ( who are here in a fairly large number also). There aren't any Parisians or Frenchman from other parts of France in my classes. The program is designed to put all the international students together in classes based on their speaking and comprehension level. It is interesting though because you can meet people from literally all over the world.


I didn't do a whole lot of site-seeing today because I have class in the afternoon. But I did manage to take a few pictures at Place de Saint-Michel around 6:00 pm and Porte d'Orleans around 6:30 pm. The sun doesn't set here until almost 6:30 pm, I think, I'll check on that but it is still light outside.


I posted a page that is just pictures of the Musee d'Orsay. I am working on another page on the Eiffel Tower but it takes a long time to upload images here because the Internet in France is not as fast as the Internet in the U.S. I plan to return to a lot of these places in the Spring and play the tourist all over again because Paris will be very different in color.

1 comment:

  1. Chris, even the overcast sky looks interesting. Right now, we're doing the snow and wind thing again.

    ReplyDelete